In 1943, Naours became a key base for the army of occupation. The
high command made of this quiet secluded place one of their best
structures among their defensive installations as connected with
the " Atlantic Wall ". Reinforcement, bricklaying, ventilation
and lighting were achieved in the galleries, which were converted
into collective or individual places, as needed, and fitted with
the same equipment as used in submarines…
The whole site was devastated at the Liberation.
The underground city of Naours was open to the
public in 1949 by Mr Raymond Martin.